Friday, June 11, 2010

Chicken Feet

Madison:

It seems like there are always a thousand things I want to blog/write about but after I'm done doing said activities I'm too tired to post. It's nearing the end of the day at Enovate. We're heading out for drinks together and then possibly a concert. Alternatively, after drinks I might hook up with the Yale crew to walk around the Bund or watch the World Cup.

One of the things I enjoy is walking to work every morning. I could take the metro for part of it and slim down the forty minute trek but I like taking in the glimpses of daily life I get. Yesterday morning I didn't realize what was happening until a rooster's head fell by feet all bloody as some housewife was purchasing her groceries. Today there was some kind of bike accident but no one seemed to be badly hurt. Nevertheless there were five police officers and a crowd of onlookers. Chinese people are very much into that whole crowd thing. Case in point- David's exhibit opening at MoCA with cute Chinese artists. Talk about hordes of teenage girls with camera phones.

The Yale club gave us all a packet with coupons for Starbucks and McDonalds. I find this amusing but appreciate the free lattes I'm enjoying (there's literally a Starbucks outside my hotel room). There are far more xingbake (Chinese for Starbucks) in general compared to Beijing. Last summer I became very well acquainted with the locations of Starbucks in Beijing. My best friend is a complete junkie. ;) Four tall sugar-free coffee light frappucinos with 1 pump sugar-free vanilla and 1 pump sugar-free caramel a day anyone?

I'm on my last pair of clean underwear so I suppose I'll have to face my fear of the Chinese laundry machine. There's no way all of those buttons are necessary. Maybe I'll hang my bras on a line out the window like all the Shanghaiese do.

I added another animal to my list after lunch today. Bullfrog. Very very good. I really enjoy saying "another animal" because I'm actually not all that adventurous of an eater. I can pretend right? Just don't try to feed me duck soup with the intestines and crunchy bits. I'm afraid of where those crunchy bits come from.

I've given up on cooking even though I made a trip to the grocery store this morning (at 7, I woke up today without an alarm at 5!). I keep getting invitations to eat out. The social aspect is great but I really wish I knew how many calories were in say qiezi? I'm kind of afraid. Oh well. You can't ask in China.

Another favorite Chinese food I don't quite understand- chicken feet. Is there really any meat on them?

In other news, Eno has been making a lookbook so everyday there has literally been a parade of models male and female through our office. No one can concentrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment