Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shanghai Pre-departure Ponderings

LISA:

I'm so so so super excited to go to Shanghai in... TWENTY-FOUR HOURS!

So I spent last summer splitting my time between...

1. New York: working as a PR/marketing intern at the Accompanied Literary Society doing the logistics for events and book launch parties (even including an all expenses paid trip to the Hamptons for a Great Gatsby Themed Black and White party- at which I, of course, was the bouncer)

and
2. Sichuan, China- teaching English, Math, Culture, music, and art at 3 different earthquake-affected schools (elementary, middle, and high school)

But THIS year, I will be going to Shanghai as part of the YAle Bulldogs in Shanghai internship program, and I shall be working as an (official title:) Office Events Director at a fancy rooftop restaurant & lounge called Kathleen's 5!!!-- which should be extra cool this year with all the extra customers coming in due to the World Expo.

Anyway, I spent this past week working at Yale as a commencement usher and procession guide during graduation week, which was AMAZING. Got to see my senior friends one last time, went to my first naked party, got chucked off a piggy back ride, brief encounter with the police, partied consequetively for almost a week, decided to join a Yale varsity sport, set a goal to not leave Yale before learning to play all necessary WASPy sports (i.e. squash, golf, sailing), saw Bill Clinton, Aretha Franklin, and Zhang Yimou, and most importantly, discovered a newfound awe, admiration, and excitement for Yale. I CAN'T WAIT FOR JUNIOR YEAR!

But more importantly, or at least, more timely, I (also) CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SUMMER!! (which technically is already here but,) I CAN'T WAIT TO BE IN SHANGHAI! Summer is going to be so amazing, I'm so excited to be going to China yet again (third summer in a row), and my job is going to be so ridiculous(ly awesome). Even during down times, I'll still be IN A RESTAURANT. Also, it'd be totally perfect if they fed me lunch.

Anyway, I need to start packing. I'm pretty sure the 14 hour, 40 minute plane ride will be less than wonderful, but I don't think it will be miserable considering I have a good stack of books, hopefully a good line-up of movies, and preferably some sleep on my side. I believe having long, miserable, sleep-less flights are much more miserable when under stress (about what lies ahead on the other end of the flight (i.e. having a competition, having to return home knowing you have to write a paper after vacation), but for me, there's absolutely nothing to dread. I can literally do WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT. No papers, no competitions, no school, just... Summer(!), China (!), an awesome internship (!), an awesome group of Yalies (!), an awesome roommate (!), and limitless opportunities to explore!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment